Earthly Beauty: Homemade DIY masks

By 7:56 AM

Every saturday, without fail, my mum customarily sets up a morning spa. She puts on several face masks from the face tightening peel mask, to an edible honey mask. She then paints her nails and does her hair. 


For as long as I can remember I watched her do her ritual, but never took interest in participating. Taking care of my skin was not something I thought I needed to worry about. I thought that face masks and just everyday face cleansing was for the "grown ups." 

One day, I decided to participate in her spa day because she was using a new mud mask that you let it dry, turning your face green like hulk.  I thought that it looked really cool, and I asked if I could join. The mask left my skin feeling incredibly soft, like a babies bottom haha. 

Now, every saturday morning, whether its at home or in my dorm, I too turn to a green monster for half and hour, and do my nails and hair. Its incredibly relaxing, and I have noticed a major difference in my skin!

There have been times that I have not wanted to do it. It can seem like a huge chore, plus the mask gets all over your hair! So I developed my own quick, no excuses routine.

My saturday spa day routine involves:

-washing my hair and applying a hair mask I bought a a drug store
-then for 15 minutes I apply Bentonite Clay (I bought on amazon) that pulls your skin and turns you green!
-after, to soothe my skin and leave it soft I put on a raw honey mask. Its just pure raw organic honey. I leave it on from 10 minutes to half an hour.
- Then I apply my creams and wash the hair mask

The great thing about this routine is that it allows me to do other things while I have the masks on. The only down side of the honey mask, is that sometimes it drips down and gets all over your clothes, and in my case, my laptop. 

I have started to opt for more natural product because in my opinion, they leave a more radiant and healthy glow. Today I will be sharing one hair mask that is super easy and cheap ( less then $1!!), and a soothing coffee face mask. 


Avocado Hair Mask

Ingredients:
-One avocado 

I LOVE avocados. They are delicious to eat, but also so great to put on your skin and hair! The natural oils help to repair your hair and leave it shiny and smooth!

The first time I did this, I idiotically put it on AFTER washing my hair. My hair was wet and I was making a huge mess as the avocado was not spreading neatly. So, make sure you put this on BEFORE you wash your hair, when it is DRY. I cannot stress that enough haha.

You leave it on for 20 minutes and then simply wash it off! 







Mocha Mask

Ingredient:
-3 TBS 100% cacao
-3 TBS of Strong brewed coffee 

Simply mix both of these ingredients in a small bowl until it becomes paste like. Then apply all over your face, making sure to really coat every area and your neck. Wait until the mask has dried to wash it off with warm water. Lastly, pat dry your face with a dark towel so it does not stain since this is a brown mask!





Avocado picture from: http://njlhealthandbeauty.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/avocado.jpg

You Might Also Like

0 comments